This second semester subject ties directly with one of the areas of research covered by groups that support the program.
The objective of this subject is to introduce the students in the models, technical, tasks and evaluation methodology in the field of the Information Retrieval. With the objective of having a combined and integral vision of the systems of RI, the topic of efficiency is presented being only centered in the differential aspects in RI (construction and compression of inverted indexes).
Along the semester different environments of application of the Recovery of Information are shown, like it is the case of the web or of the handling of biological texts.
Once concluded this course, the student will have a coherent and integral vision of the systems of RI and of the investigation characteristic of the field.
- Know, understand, describe and apply models, techniques, tasks and evaluation methodology in the field of the information retrieval applied to structured and semi-structured data.
- Analyze the efficiency of the information retrieval systems applied to texts.
- Know the last advances related with the application of information retrieval and extraction techniques on biological texts.
- To acquire a coherent and integral vision of the information retrieval systems on texts and the investigation of the field.
- Eva Lorenzo Iglesias
- Lourdes Borrajo Diz
- Francisco Javier Rodríguez Martínez
- Nieves Rodríguez Brisaboa
- Introduction to the Information Retrieval systems
- Information Retrieval on texts.
- Information Retrieval on biological texts.
- Classroom Lessons (2 ECTS).- It will consist mainly on magistral sessions and readings to introduce the work to be done in the other activities.
- Experiments and Practices (1 ECTS).- It will consist on the develop of little examples and exercises supervised by the teachers.
- Seminars (2 ECTS).- It will consist mainly in the presentation of a concrete item by students in small groups.
- Conferences (0,5 ECTS).- It will consist on the elaboration of an original scientific article where a practical application of the information retrieval is explained, and its oral exposition.
- Tutorials (0,5 ECTS).- It will consist in the solution of some problems proposed by the teachers, and the pursuit of the seminars and conferences.
Evaluation Procedure for Regular-ASSISTANTS
- Seminars: It includes the preparation of a topic, their oral exhibition, position of exercises to the partners and their evaluation. The work will be evaluated by partners, besides for the teacher, assisting to the general quality of the seminar and the abilities and attitudes shown by the components of the group.
- Regular attendance to the classroom classes and seminars, and active participation.
Evaluation Procedure for NON-ASSISTANTS
- Theoretical evaluation: Presentation of an article or technical report outlined on the contents of the subject.
- Seminars: Those students that have not attended regularly the present classes will carry out a bibliographical work of study of challenges and topics of investigation of interest that will expose the teacher. Previously a summary and a copy of the presentation in writing must be surrendered.
The work will be related with the application of Information Retrieval techniques on biological texts.
It will be valued the concretion of the explanations, the support with examples and the use of bibliography that it will be indicated in the work.