This first semester subject ties directly with providing introductory knowledge to the theory of the information: source encoding and channel capacity.
This subject must be coursed jointly with the subject of Modeling, Analysis and Representation of Information in order to complete the optional field on Information Theory
- to know and understand the foundations of the information and coding theory
- to know, understand and analyse the most important error-detecting and error-correcting codes
- to know, understand and analyze the basic aspects related to data and text compression
- to be able to discern the advantages and disadvantages of each method
- to develop the capacity to assimilate new techniques
- Eva Lorenzo Iglesias
- Marta Pérez Rodríguez
- Probability, Entropy and Redundancy
- Data Compression
- Text Compression
- Noisy Communication
- Error-correcting codes
- Classroom Lessons (2 ECTS).- It will consist mainly on magistral sessions and readings to introduce the work to be done in the other activities.
- Experiments and Practices (1 ECTS).- It will consist on the develop of little examples and exercises supervised by the teachers.
- Seminars (2 ECTS).- It will consist mainly in the presentation of a concrete item by students in small groups.
- Conferences (0,5 ECTS).- It will consist on the elaboration of an original scientific article where a practical application of the information theory is explained, and its oral exposition.
- Tutorials (0,5 ECTS).- It will consist in the solution of some problems proposed by the teachers, and the pursuit of the seminars and conferences.
Evaluation Procedure for Regular-ASSISTANTS
- Exercises: Realization of a collection of basic exercises of each topic. All the students will explain one of these exercises at least in the practical classes along the semester.
- Seminars: It includes the preparation of a topic, their oral exhibition, position of exercises to the partners and their evaluation. The work will be evaluated by partners, besides for the teacher, assisting to the general quality of the seminar and the abilities and attitudes shown by the components of the group.
- Conferences: Exhibition of different works along the course that demonstrate the acquisition of the competitions and theoretical basic knowledges.
- Regular attendance to the practical classes and seminars, and active participation.
Evaluation Procedure for NON-ASSISTANTS
- Evaluation theoretical-practice: Realization of a test on the contents corresponding to the matter imparted during the theoretical and practical sessions.
- Seminars: Oral exhibition about a topic worked starting from some basic bibliographical references. Also, they will elaborate an original scientific article.